SEMCO Solution: YMCA at Centennial Hills Community Center – Pool Deck, Locker Rooms, Bathrooms and Showers
SEMCO was the obvious choice for the project, as we’ve been providing efficient and successful engineering and service solutions to the City since 1999.
The YMCA at Centennial Hills Community Center — a popular location for the Las Vegas community—experiences heavy foot traffic across their pool deck and combined bathroom and locker room floors. As a result of the extensive daily use, the seven-year old surfaces needed an upgrade.
SEMCO was the obvious choice for the project, as we’ve been providing efficient and successful engineering and service solutions to the City for over 18 years.
The most immediate concern was the pool deck, which exhibited the following issues:
- Cracked and deteriorated surface – A lack of protection from high chlorine and high alkalinity water content efflorescence created serious surface blemishes.
- Lackluster color – Years of use resulted in a dull, faded look.
- Rough, uneven texture – More than just unattractive, uneven surfaces created serious tripping hazards.
- Hot, slippery surface – The slick surface posed a serious safety risk.
To fix these issues, the YMCA could have hired a contractor to grind down the concrete, apply waterproofing membrane, and then reapply more concrete. However, this process would be costly and time consuming. In addition, the removed materials would have to be land-filled, adding additional costs and environmental concerns.
The client also wanted to resurface the floors in the pool’s bathroom, shower, and locker room, and they hoped to remain open during the remodel.
The City desired a timely, efficient and environmentally-friendly process, which is why they turned to SEMCO.
SEMCO engineers started by applying our signature X-Crete 500, which prevents the efflorescence that had damaged the existing substrate, while creating a new smooth and seamless new surface. The product’s minute molecules deeply penetrate into the substrate and create a chemical reaction with the alkalinity and the substrate, making it a breathable membrane. Once the X-Crete 500 dried, we applied the SEMCO’s ADA Safety Floor.
For the indoor pool bathroom, shower, and locker room floors, we applied X-Bond Satin Stone, a sleek, non-slip surface that could be installed directly over their existing tile. No demolition was required, and the project was completed in three days. The YMCA now had a non-slip, ADA safety compliant, beautiful new floor.
SEMCO’s ultimate goal is to be an industry innovator, creating services and products that exceed the ones currently available in today’s market. The surfaces we created for the YMCA were an illustration of our engineers’ fine workmanship, combined with our innovative products and solutions, resulting in a finished surface designed to last long and beautifully well into the future. Furthermore, SEMCO’s comprehensive application matrix system ensured the project specialists were able to complete the entire project on schedule and within budget.
- Preparation: SEMCO Nu-Lift Cleaner and Stone Soap
- Interior floors: SEMCO X-Bond Seamless Stone, ADA Safety Floor – Sandy Beach color, and Satin Stone
- Exterior pool deck surfaces: SEMCO X-Bond Seamless Stone, ADA Safety Floor – Sherwood Forest, Banana Cream, Equator, Rhododendron and Debonair colors, sealed with Satin Stone
- Project size: 15,000 sq ft
- Project year: 2017
CONTACT SEMCO today to see what we can do for you!